This 1865 lithograph of a house near Madison Avenue emphasizes its pastoral character, with trees taking up much of the frame. It seems to show a certain nostalgia for a rural island that is also captured in the title – Old Residence. A few panels have fallen off the railing and lie on the ground as if the house were not quite worth maintaining any longer because its days were numbered. The Perris map from 1854 shows the house and its outbuildings on a largely empty block with the stables of the Fourth Avenue Line Stage Stable at its east end. Three years later the stable has expanded to serve the needs of ever increasing numbers of commuters moving into the area. The block has filled in with brownstones, and a hat factory has opened on the block. By 1867, the stable expanded into the premises of the hat factory, and the lot where the house stood is shown as vacant land. The map from 1885 shows the Murray Hill Hotel swallowed both the stables and the Old Residence lot.